Product Description - Business Managers & Business Developers
With Sesat, your IT department can quickly merge content from a huge variety of different data sources, in line with your business requirements.
Sesat is a federating search portal middleware, enabling developers to easy collect information from a variety of different sources and data stores, and present them in a configurable, intelligent and flexible way to the user.
Sesat includes a set of applications working together to provide a feature-rich search middleware. Sesatglues together information from underlying indexes and data sources, applies the relevant business logic, and passes the resulting collection of information on to the presentation layer. The toolkit has excellent support for all recent versions of the FAST search engine, as well as many other data sources. The APIs provide full flexibility for customers who easily want to create own connectors to underlying data layers and sources.
Sesat glues together information from multiple data sources and presents it uniformly to the developer, who now only need to concentrate on the presentation of the data. Sesat makes it very easy to develop, deploy and manage search portal applications.
Components used in Sesat are all Open Source, and the code to Sesat itself is freely available to the developers.
- reduce development complexity
- enable a high degree of flexibility for the business
- lower total cost of ownership
- deliver superior value
What is it?
- Sesat is a search application toolkit
- Sesat is a search application framework
- Sesat is a search application tracking system
With the new Boomerang module it is easy to follow the users behavior on the site
- Users of Sesat value the flexibility of not being tied to any particular search engine vendor.
- Sesatis not tied to any particular search engine or data storage. The customer may easily provide his own search interfaces and make them available to the Sesat Kernel.
- Sesat uses unicode (UTF-8) throughout, and is as such compatible with most languages and character sets.
- Sesatmakes it possible to create search portals and search applications fast without worrying about internals of search engine APIs or writing display code, business logic etc. The developer's focus is entirely on the portal's functionality.
- Sesat is a mature search application framework that has been under heavy development since autumn 2005. It has an exiting roadmap which includes personalization, session-handling, Ajax-capabilities, rules engines, statistics tools and administrative tools.
- Sesat is an open architecture. The customer have access to all source code, and can submit code to the project.
- Sesat uses Open Source applications and libraries. No commercial software needs to be installed to run Sesat.
- Extensibility. Plugins and libraries may be sold as products in their own right.
What does it do?
- Handle the complex parts while giving the customer full flexibility to add own features
- Provide rapid development components not only for collecting information from various sources, but also for assembling your search portal
- Complements search applications
Why should I care?
When Sesat is in place, you can go to negotiate with your data source deliver, since Sesatgives you the opportunity to replace data sources without changing the front end. Your developers can even continuing develop when you are finding out which data sources you wnat to use. The developers can also focus on the front end and the functionality your company want to provide, not on integrate the search engines and other search applications.
- TCO - vanskelig å estimere, må baseres på tidsforbruk + kompetansekostnad
- TTM - time to market. eksempler med sitesearches (dra inn Magne T)
When first Sesatis in place it will be very easy to continues develop your site (or add new sites). The reason for this is that *Sesat *also is a development framework with a lot of helpful default functionality. This default functionality is easy to extend to satisfy your requirements.
- Technical resources (mindre hardcore)
Sesat will give your company a GUI framework with a well documented API for the search management, so your company's developers can care about the front end functionality, and not struggle with the complexity around the different data sources API etc. Sesat will translate the queries on an optimal way to the different supported data sources.
One great benefit with Sesat is that it is independent. It support a lot of the most common data sources today, and it is simple to add new data sources. There exists a well defined API to make a connector. If you want to add a new data source you don't have to worry about the front end. It will still use the same Sesat API. You can even replace a data source without change the front end.
Another great benefit with Sesat is that it is based and developed as open source. So even your developers can contribute, see the code and apply patches if necessary. By building Sesat as an open source, and get the community to work, the product in itself will live and all the customers of Sesat will get advantage of each others.
The business rules are easy defined and managed with an XML-file. (In the next version this will be included in the Sesat ADM tool)
Components and features
Sesat supports many multiple different data sources, so enterprises can easy use Sesat in their framework to extend their functionality.
Sesat can be scaled to unlimited number of instances, data sources.
Norwegian companies Conduct, Comperio, and TRank, have worked as consultants on Sesat along the way.
See how easy it is to create a simple search website.
The traditional way of creating a search portal or a search application, is to develop a full stack of components from the lowest layer communicating directly with search apis, to the templating layer on top.
In effect, Sesat gives you most of these components, so the developer can focus on being productive with front-end coding.
- Cuts administrative overhead - developers can focus on presentation and functionaly
Overview of the Sesat Model: The developer focus on functionality rather than middleware and interface coding.
The main parts of Sesat, organizing all libraries, applications and tools, are:
- Sesat Kernel - the main application, handling the actual search analysis, content search and result presentation.
- Sesat API - Application Programmers Interface. Sesatexposes many of its functions as WebServices and XML interfaces. This is key to Ajax functionality and for client applications where the Sesat SFC is not an option.
- SesatSFC - Search Front-end Container. This is where client applications reside, and were they utilize the functionality present in the Sesat Kernel.
- Sesat Adm - administrative plugins and applications. Sesat comes with a portal setup based on JBoss Portals.
Client applications reside within the Search Front-end Container, SFC. One Sesat-installation can handle multiple client applicatins, or "vhosts", virtual hosts. For example, one single kernel can control and support sesam.no, sesam.se, vg.sesam.no, svd.sesam.se, sports.svd.sesam.se...